We added an additional ten things to our original 10 things you should never feed your cat or kitten article.
This is why we sometimes think they know what’s best for them to eat, but you may be surprised to learn that when it comes to food choices…They’re clueless!
Here are 10 common food items that are in many homes that you should…
Never Feed To Your Cat Or Kitten
Raw Pork 1 of 10
Dog Food 2 of 10
Live Fish 3 of 10
Yeast 4 of 10
Your Medicine 5 of 10
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Ibuprofen (Advil)
These medications as well as many others can be severely toxic to felines (and Dogs).
Potatoes 6 of 10
Potatoes contain a poisonous alkaloid called Glycoalkaloid Solanine.
It is very toxic and can lead to lower gastrointestinal problems.
Nuts 7 of 10
Nuts are very high in fat and can make pets gain weight easily.
While nuts contain proteins and fats which are healthy for us humans, our furry friends cannot digest them easily.
The high level of fats can also lead to stomach problems that can result in vomiting.
Mushrooms 8 of 10
We should avoid giving mushrooms to your furry felines.
Although a small amount of store-bought mushrooms may not cause any harm, some types of mushrooms contain toxins that can lead to severe problems in cats.
It is always better to check if a specific type of mushroom is ok for them to eat.
Green Tomatoes 9 of 10
Unripe tomatoes and their leaves and stems have a substance called tomatine which is very toxic to cats.
The ingestion of this substance can lead to vomiting, dilated pupils, loss of appetite, and many other symptoms.
Some pet foods contain tomatoes, but they are in very small quantities and are ripe, so they don’t represent a problem.
Treats 10 of 10
That’s why it’s crucial to have an emergency plan in place–before you need it.
Know Where Your local 24-Hour Emergency Care is
Not only know where it is located but just as important know the route you’ll take to get there.
You should take a trip to your local 24-Hour pet emergency location at least once, so you are familiar with the area.
If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic substance, please call
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435.